Multi-Layered Dressings/Island Dressings
MULTI-LAYERED DRESSINGS / ISLAND DRESSINGS
A multi-layer dressing and island dressings are composed of a nonwoven dressing material such as an antimicrobial, absorptive foam, hydrogel, or hydrocolloid. This inner material contains a wound contacting non-absorbent, non-adhering porous polymeric film, which can be impregnated with a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent.
The second layer comprising a semi-permeable continuous polymeric film joined to the first layer to form a sealed interior reservoir compartment. The absorbent material positioned within the interior reservoir compartment collects discharged exudate from a wound. The exterior layer is bordered by a skin friendly medical grade adhesive.
Multi-layer dressings and island dressings utilizing nonwovens have a therapeutic effect and aid the healing process, especially when used where wounds have high exudates. These types of wound dressing and the specific materials used are designed to maintain the correct moisture conditions around the wound. The material is hydroscopic; it attracts and holds water without actual wetting of the wound. Using nonwoven material results in the rapid uptake and retention of exudates from the wound. This is essential in creating an optimum environment for healing and preventing bacterial growth.
Multi-Layered Dressings and Island Dressing Applications:
- Minor wounds
- Cuts, scrapes and abrasions
- Precision die-cutting, multilayer laminating, and slitting to tight tolerances
- Clean room capabilities, including converting and packaging
- Access to medical grade adhesives
- Testing capabilities
- Registered island placement of absorptive, antimicrobial, hydrogel, hydrocolloid material on to a film or non-woven material with skin contact adhesive
- Custom pouching and secondary packaging of the island dressing for sterilization
- Dressing is non-adherent to tissue
- Center layer absorbs exudate, provides cushioning, reducing number of changes
- Top layer allows gaseous exchange while helping to protect the wound from contaminants
- Base – allows for application of the dressing to the wound, usually coated with a skin-friendly adhesive.
Fralock provides development, validation, verification and commercialization support and services for a variety of applications.
For additional information about us or to begin discussions on your project, click our Quote Request, or call 1-800-FRALOCK (372-5625)